4.21.2011

Champagne Chicken

So I realize chicken is not the first thing that comes to mind when you think of fashion, but coincidentally this week my husband and I cooked this meal from scratch, not once, but twice, since discovering it in our I Love Trader Joe's cookbook.  Quite simply...we loved it.

I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook
$13 at Barnes and Noble To Buy

If you are like me, you are always on the hunt for fast and easy meals that can be thrown together in less than a half hour.  Most of the dishes included in this cookbook fit that bill.  Plus, there are cooking tips included that are interesting.  For example, Trader Joe's pie crusts and puff pastry are made from real butter whereas most grocery store's are not.

So onto the Champagne Chicken.  (Sorry to my veggie friends...you have my permission to stop reading.)

Not mine...but hers
(This link is not the exact recipe)

To see the rest of the recipe, click here.

CC Tip:  Don't forget today is the last day to enter for the super extravagant giveaway!  We are up to 7 comments!  Each and every one is so sweet and I am so grateful for all your support.


Champagne Chicken with Champignons

From the TJ's cookbook:  Simple enough for a weeknight, elegant enough for company, this chicken dish is rich and flavorful.  Serve over rise or pasta, with haricots verts or roasted asparagus.

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon butter (I used 3...don't judge...I love butter)
1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breasts
2 cubes frozen garlic ( I used 2 fresh cloves garlic crushed)
2 shallots, thinly sliced
6 ounces mushrooms, thinly sliced (I used half a Baby Bella 10 oz. package and did not slice)
3/4 cup Champagne (I used Prosecco)
1/2 to 3/4 cup heavy cream
salt and white pepper (I used normal black pepper)

CC Note:  I also seasoned my chicken with my regular seasonings before putting them in the pan 

Serves: 4
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time:  30 minutes

  • In a large saute pan, heat the butter over medium heat and saute the chicken until it loses its pink color, about 4 minutes on each side.
  • Add the garlic and shallots to the pan and saute until softened, about 4 minutes.
  • Add the mushrooms and champagne to the pan (the champagne will fizz up but then subside) and season lightly with salt and pepper.
  • Cover the pan and simmer, turning chicken once, 10 to 15 minutes until chicken is cooked through
  • When fully cooked, remove chicken to warm platter.  I cover my platter with foil.
  • Increase heat on pan to high and reduce champagne liquid until about 1/4 cup remains
  • Add the heavy cream and reduce by half, about 4 minutes
  • Pour the sauce over chicken on platter and serve

This is the Prosecco I used
Read a review here

Okay, here's the deal.  Since I was cooking for 2, I only did 2 chicken breasts but kept all the sauce ingredients the same, which is why I think I had to add more butter.  If you are a sauce fan like us, then you will be fine with having extra.

Here is why I consider this dish to be CC.  It tastes couture but is pretty cheap to make.  Yes you have to buy a $10 bottle of champagne, but if you already have one sitting in your fridge, no problem.  Plus you will have almost a full bottle to drink during dinner and/or dessert.  Bonus.

No joke we scarfed this stuff.  The first time I made it we had leftovers to which my husband ate the next day and said were phenomenal as well.

Cooking with CC.  Who knew?  Let me know if you try and how you likey.



No comments: