11.04.2010

The First Week In November Can Only Mean One Thing...

In the shopping world, November 1st is a very important date because it officially begins the holiday season.  This is when retailers parade out two different types of merchandise: gift-giving items and holiday dressing.  So in honor of the new season, I am going to highlight my predictions for what you will either be giving, getting or treating yourself to this holiday:

  • Mustard and Navy -- I have heard rumblings that yellow will be THE color for Spring, so I think retailers are getting a little anxious and giving us a sneak preview with the hue of mustard.  We have already seen navy up and down the red carpet this Fall so naturally it would only make sense that retailers would follow suit this holiday.  Mustard is the new gold.  Navy is the new black.  Yada yada.

Pleated Bow Skirt $59.50 at Gap stores To Buy


Jeweled Shoulder Sweater $69.50 at Loft stores To Buy
  • Velvet Dressing -- I am not going to lie to you, I don't love velvet because I think it adds bulk and really you don't wear it more than 2 to 3 months at best.  But that doesn't mean my preferences are enough to derail an entire fashion trend.  What I do enjoy in velvet is a good old fashioned blazer.  So if you are like me and think velvet dresses and pants are too much, try a blazer if you can't resist...just make sure it is tailored and fitted.  And no holiday pins attached.
Vintage Velvet Blazer $48 at urbanoutfitters.com To Buy
  • Sequins -- Sequins makes a statement every holiday, but what I think you will see more of this year is sequins interpreted in a disco glam type of way: a boxy jacket, mini skirts and embroidered on a sheer tunic.
Short Sleeve Sequin Tunic by INC International Concepts
$69.00 at Macy's To Buy
  • Goth Accessories -- Sounds scary, right?  Think dark gold and pewter metals with sharp angles, pave encrusted jewels, chains, birds and dark stones.  There may even be swords and snakes involved.  Less art deco and more dungeons and dragons.
    Snake and Oval Stone Ring by GUESS $25 at Macy's To Buy
    Wings of Agate Necklace $15 at alltherageonline.com To Buy
Fashion is an evolution so you will continue to see most of your Fall trends as an important part of retailers' holiday collections.  So no need for Fall buyer's remorse!  My recommendation is to pick one of the trends above and see how you can work it into your existing wardrobe.  No idea how?  Email me the look you are going for and the trend you are feeling, and I will do the work for you.

May you have a stylish beginning to your holiday season!

No comments: