10.21.2010

Reason To Splurge #2 -- DVF Wrap Dress

I live for all things Diane von Furstenberg mainly because I never met a print and a knit I didn't like but also because her legendary wrap dress is a fashion icon for a reason.

DVF "Jeanne" Silk Jersey Wrap Dress
$325 at Bloomingdales

Why It Is Worth The Investment:  There may not be any other silhouette that is as flattering to a woman's body than that of a wrap dress.  The v-neck and tie at the waist lengthen your torso and accentuate your waistline for maximum femininity.  Generally the prints used are in patterns that camouflage your areas of concern and flatter everywhere else.  Diane designs for a woman and not a stick thin model so her clothes make you feel feminine and powerful.  That being said, her clothes run small so size up at least 1 to 2 sizes.  Last but not least, the knit dresses are super comfortable and make the perfect non-wrinkle item to toss in a bag or travel with.  I have tried wrap dresses from other designers and I swear to you, nothing beats DVF.

DVF "Justin" Silk Jersey Wrap Dress

How You Can Keep Your CC Status:  I am not one of those people who collects clothes with the notion that one day I will pass them down to my future kids or they will be collector's pieces but I steadily find myself building a DVF wrap dress collection.  Mainly because the dresses are timeless and last forever.  Some of mine I have had for 4+ years and they still look brand new after 16 seasons of wear and tear.  Even though the prints are bold they also withstand the test of time. Diane's prints run from classic to funky so pick a fabric that represents you and will for years to come.  For me it is animal print and neon yellow.  What I also love is the fabrication can be worn 4 seasons and in all climates.

Side note:  Every Fall, DVF does an animal print wrap dress.  Men love it.  I have no idea why but every time I wear mine, some gentleman will comment on how he likes my dress.  And I really think he is being sincere and not a slime bucket. I think it is the perfect combo of sass and class.

You will have your wrap dress for decades and 10 years from now, when you take it out of your closet it will still be the chic icon it is today.

CC Tip: DVF wrap dresses always go on sale eventually so keep tabs on the patterns you are coveting. If your exact size is not available, you can always go up or down a size and adjust the tie at the waist.  If given the choice, I always size up.

No comments: